Does chocolate really cause dogs to get worms?

NetherCraft 0

19 Answers

  • Chocolate does not cause dogs to get worms. Dogs get worms by eating an infected item such as infected meat or the stools of another animal with worms.

    Chocolate however is TOXIC to dogs in certain quantities. It can cause liver and kidney damage and it is very irresponsible to feed it to any animal. Even large dogs can be affected by a little chocolate. Even if you see no immediate damage- your dog’s liver and kidneys have had to process a chemical that is toxic to them so damage is done and your pet’s life expectancy can be shortened.

  • I don’t know about worms but…..

    Chocolate contains theobromine, a compound that is a cardiac stimulant and a diuretic.

    When affected by an overdose of chocolate, a dog can become excited and hyperactive. Due to the diuretic effect, it may pass large volumes of urine and it will be unusually thirsty. Vomiting and diarrhoea are also common. The effect of theobromine on the heart is the most dangerous effect. Theobromine will either increase the dog’s heart rate or may cause the heart to beat irregularly. Death is quite possible, especially with exercise.

    After their pet has eaten a large quantity of chocolate, many pet owners assume their pet is unaffected. However, the signs of sickness may not be seen for several hours, with death following within twenty-four hours.

    Cocoa powder and cooking chocolate are the most toxic forms. A 10-kilogram dog can be seriously affected if it eats a quarter of a 250gm packet of cocoa powder or half of a 250gm block of cooking chocolate. These forms of chocolate contain ten times more theobromine than milk chocolate. Thus, a chocolate mud cake could be a real health risk for a small dog. Even licking a substantial part of the chocolate icing from a cake can make a dog unwell.

    Semi-sweet chocolate and dark chocolate are the next most dangerous forms, with milk chocolate being the least dangerous. A dog needs to eat more than a 250gm block of milk chocolate to be affected. Obviously, the smaller the dog, the less it needs to eat.

  • Think about what you are asking: if a food, that humans consume almost every day, can actually give an animal worms. Does that make any sense to you? Wouldn’t that have to mean that there are parasites or parasite eggs in the chocolate that we ingest?? Do you think that’s possible? No way – chocolate does not give dogs worms. But it is toxic and should be avoided. The darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is. Now, if your dog eats a Hershey’s Kiss, don’t go running to the vet. Even if your dog is very small. But larger quantities, play it safe and go to the vet.

  • nah it doesn’t cause worms at all!. chocolate has theobromine in it and dogs can’t absorb it very well….it causes everything from diahroea through to epileptic fits and can eventually even kill the poor things!

Also Check This  Consider the three circuits shown above. All the resistors and all the batteries are identical.?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *