My Dog Ate a Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwich?

NetherCraft 0

I know questions like this have been asked a bunch, but I am very scared and was hoping for help. He ate roughly half of the chocolate portion that “sandwiches” the ice cream itself. I am very worried.

14 Answers

  • I’m sure even if you have a small dog that there’s not enough chocolate in an ice cream bar to hurt him.

    This is straight chocolate:

    1 ounce per pound of body weight for milk chocolate.

    1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for semi-sweet chocolate

    1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for baker’s chocolate.

  • I think it mostly depends on the size of the dog. My heeler got into Easter chocolates and ate around 5 pounds worth. (That was at least 3 years ago.) An ice cream sandwich should be pretty safe even for a smaller size dog. I would call a vet and tell them your situation and maybe ask them if there are any warning signs that you should look for and what to do if your dog has a reaction to the chocolate. Best of luck!

  • I wouldn’t worry too much. The little bit of actual chocolate in an ice cream sandwich is very small. Much of it is other ingredients.

    Chocolate chips or a chocolate bar would be a different story.

  • Not to say the others are wrong, but I have a miniature dachshund who is a pig and she has ate probably more chocolate then me lateley. She ate a whole box of Oreo’s (thanks to my cats for knocking them over), and she has ate donuts and chocolate cake and you name it she has had it. All times she has been find and never has gotten sick. I’ve taken her to the vet once after the cake thing and he said she was fine. It is something about the digestive system of a dog. It has been said that it cannot break chocolate down, but I’m not sure this is true for all breeds of dogs or just some. My dog seems to do just fine, though I do not give it to her myself. Karob on the other hand is a form of chocolate that is safe for dogs. Similar to unsweetened chocolate.

  • Here is a guideline for chocolate:

    On average,

    Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.

    Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.

    Baker’s chocolate 390mg/oz.

    Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:

    1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate

    1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate

    1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker’s chocolate.

    So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker’s chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.

  • If your ever scared or worried about a pet it is the best thing to take them in either to your vet or if it is after hours there are always animal emergency clinics …I’d never wait for the next day it might be too late…

    For you it depends on how big a dog you have and did he drink alot of water after….I’d still take him in…ASAP

  • Unless your dog is a small breed, it is probably fine… our lab ate m&ms when she was a puppy, only a few and I freaked out but the vet said it was fine. If you are REALLY concerned due to the dogs’ size and the size of the portion she ate, call the vet…

  • It depends how big the dog is. I would say that would not hurt him much, my dog ate a hole bag of chocolate doughnuts and called the vet and she said my dog would be fine( she is 40 LBS)

  • It’s probably not real chocolate in the sandwich anyway!!

  • You should take your dog to the vet soon, chocolate is not good for dogs

Also Check This  Fa male mangiare uno Yogurt che è stato fuori dal frigo un giorno intero?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *